Week 5 Story: The Conversation



"So that's it, then?"

"Yeah."


"Let me get this clear, so that I can curse you properly before I die. You're dumping me after I was just proven pure by the gods, banishing me and our unborn twin children to the forest, and by all counts, leaving us to die. That's what you're doing."


"It is the only logical course of action, Sita."


"Alright, Spock. Logical how?"


"You are the only one who has ever made be behave illogically, Sita. Chasing Maricha as the golden deer; leading an army agains Ravana when you could have returned safely with Hanuman; these are just two examples of how you make me behave against my perfect nature."


"I don't make you behave any way. You're a big boy, Rama. And Hanuman should have waited up. He had too much fun razing the city, and he forgot to come back for me."


"It was all for my glorification, Sita."

"Tell that to the thousands of dead."

"They can't hear me any more, Sita."


"Yeah? One of them might be reincarnated as that plant next to you. How about that for logic?"


"That is rude, Sita."

"So is banishing me, asshole."


"That is more rude, Sita. Stop this illogicality."


"You're making me want to leave the more I keep talking to you."


"You just can't handle my perfection, Sita. Maybe Ravana was a more suited, imperfect partner."


"That, right there, that's rude."


"Roasted. One more for the road, Sita."


"You got me. You' really did. I've also got one more thing to say before I leave."


"Yes, Sita?"


"The only thing perfect about you is your imbecility. That I am going to the forest to worship you and beg for your forgiveness for years and years is an insult to my character. Whoever wrote this didn't give me enough credit."

"Whatever you say, Sita."


"Say my name one more time. Do it. Patronize me to death and you won't even have to bother banishing me."


"Whatever you say, Sita."


At this point in the conversation, Sita proceeded to insult Rama with such startling, graphic language that Rama viscerally felt each twisting, slicing, chopping, ripping implication. Rama, splayed on the floor by the force of her anger, murmured helplessly against Sita's verbal onslaught until he died of shame. Not that he acknowledged the shame. But it killed him all the same.


"Good riddance," said Sita. "Told ya that you wouldn't have to bother." Though she wondered where the odd word 'Spock' had come from, for Spock was only an unimagined speck in the void of the future which stretched out ceaselessly in front of Sita, wonderfully Rama-less.



----------
Image result for sita banished to forest
Poor Sita. She didn't have to take Rama's crap. Source.
----------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I wrote this story as a rewriting of the part of Sita Sings the Blues in which Sita is banished by Rama upon their return to Ayodhya because his reputation is slandered because some of his subjects do not respect that he took Sita back after she had been captured and kept against her will by Ravana, since she had 'lived in his house' and therefore must have succumbed to his desires to have sex with her. Even though Sita had passed a trial by fire and had been backed up by many of the gods who defended her virtue, Rama still seems to have doubts about her purity. I find that this is incredibly unfair, to subject Sita to such scrutiny and then banish her (basically without reason) after she had undergone such a terrible ordeal at the hands of Ravana. I wrote this as a way to give Sita more of a voice in her destiny, and her killing Rama though insults at the end was just a satisfying way to conclude the story for me.

Bibliography: Nina Paley's film, Sita Sings the Blues

Comments

  1. Hi Alex, all I have to say it preach it. It's ridiculous to hear about how Rama treats others around him all in the name of "virtue" when it's obvious he is an uncaring, selfish jerk. Even if Rama tried to say she could have came back with Hanuman, there's a 100% chance he would have said she is impure after touching another "man", even if he is Rama's loyal devotee. Honestly, Rama treats Sita horribly and I like the ending. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex! I really like your retelling of Sita being banished. It is very modern and dramatic. I really enjoyed all the attitude that Sita was giving Rama in your retelling because I feel like she left too easily in the original story. I felt like the first story was very unfair to Sita as well. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rama treated Sita so, so bad. I’m glad to see more people in this class think so too. This was great, loved getting to see Sita stand up for herself. I feel like the original wasn’t fair to her at all. I never quite understood how Rama could claim to be virtuous and have that be his main character trait and then… treat his own wife like that, especially after she proved her purity. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the satirical tone of your story and I really like that we see Sita stand up for herself. It really made me think about the Ramayana more when in your story, Rama said Sita is the only thing making him behave illogically. Even though it was part of the gods’ plan to defeat Ravana, it would definitely seem to Rama at the time that Sita caused him all of this trouble and I could see him having some resentment towards her that doesn’t come through in the original Ramayana. I also loved that you added reincarnation into their dialogue. I love at the end when Sita recognizes how she is portrayed in the stories and says that it is unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Alex, I love what you did with this story! I always wondered why in the original it turned out like this! I could never understand why Sita had to go to trial in the first place. I also wondered what would come of it if she was found guilty or if Rama just didn’t want to be with her anymore. I feel your story kind of answers that question. I think Rama treats her quite badly in the story. I am glad you did her justice. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dialogue-driven story! I can definitely see how it borrowed the sassy, comically dramatic tone of "Sita Sings the Blues"! I can't say enough about that film rendition, and I think you captured perfectly what the film was emphasizing about Sita's unfair circumstances being completely contrived by Rama the Cowardly Leader. Not only is it satisfying to see Sita tell him off for how he subjected her and many innocent people to such unfair treatment, but it's even more satisfying to see Rama's deadpan reactions because surely he knows how ridiculous he's being and would rather stay silent than defend actions he know he can't defend. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Alex! This is your second story I've read today, and I must say that I enjoy that you tie so much dialogue into your stories - and manage to do it effectively. Concerning this story, I agree that Sita was treated very unfairly by Rama and was wondering if anyone else thought that Rama was unnecessarily harsh on Sita for events out of her control. I enjoyed reading your take on what could have happened instead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Alex the English Major