Feedback Thoughts



In terms of the feedback I have received in the past and my views on feedback in general, I think the most effective form of feedback is semi-negative (constructive criticism) in written form, followed up by positive reinforcement. Tough constructive criticism on paper and encouraging advice in person have been the most effective motivators for me to improve my writing (which is the lens through which I am examining feedback--as an English major, almost all the feedback I receive is on essays). In sports in high school, I was never quite good enough to warrant any sort of scathing negative feedback. Kind of sad, but I was a very mediocre cross country and track runner. All the feedback I received there was positive, both from my coaches and from my peers, and I loved both sports despite my incredible mediocrity.

The two articles I chose are:

Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head: This article, appearing in the Harvard Business Review, emphasized noticing positive feedback as well as negative feedback, and trying to get five positive reinforcements for every negative one. One quote that stood out to me was: "Research shows that echoing negative thoughts inside our heads increases our chances of depression, isolates us from others, and inhibits us from pursuing goals." This is something I have experienced; as a high-achieving student in high school, for a period of time I felt as though no one worked as hard as I did, and that no one appreciated my efforts and the results of my labor. I was so self-critical that I blocked out all positive reinforcement. I think that this article was a good reminder for college-age me, to continue to allow myself to look on the bright side of life.

Make Good Art: Neil Gaiman’s Advice on the Creative Life, Adapted by Design Legend Chip Kidd: This commencement speech is already something I have read and regularly look to for advice and solace in the fact that no matter how overwhelmed and confused I may be, I can always look to artistic expression and Make Good Art. Often, when I write creatively, I type this mantra into the header, so it will appear at the top of each page, a reminder to push forward and continue writing. As an English major, a regular reader, and an admirer of amazing authors, Neil Gaiman is a role model for me, and to hear his words about self-motivation and perseverance is incredibly helpful, and dare I day, inspiring.

Image result for make good art poster neil gaiman
I really like this quote. Like, a lot. Source.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Alex the English Major

Week 5 Story: The Conversation