Learning about Growth Mindset

Growth mindset is an interesting approach to teaching children not only how to memorize and learn things, but also how to grow as an individual. Before this assignment, I had not heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset. The growth mindset was something that I always took for granted in myself when I was (and as I am) growing up. I always wondered why some kids would give up; I always kept working on something until I figured it out, until I beat it. I've been told that I can get unhealthily competitive sometimes.

All I ever got was yelled at by my second grade teacher. Kids these days are spoiled. Source.

As an athlete, I am much the same way. In every sport I play, I try to improve, try to note what is slightly wrong or off and correct it so next time, I'm better. A good example of this is when I work on my jump shot for basketball. Often, I notice that my right elbow chicken-wings out a little bit, and I keep reminding myself to pull it in and keep it perpendicular to the ground.

This semester, I will be interested in learning about the growth mindset, as it is something that I believe I have, and I would like to know more about how it functions as a mechanism for growth, so I can potentially harness it and maximize my growth potential.

I am really excited about my Fiction Writing class, and improving my prose is a really big focus of mine for this semester. Hopefully, by examining growth mindset in this class, I can better focus my academic growth in order to improve as a writer and a reader in all my classes and even outside them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Alex the English Major

Week 5 Story: The Conversation