(Extra Credit) Reading Notes: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu, Part A



I really liked this succinct retelling of the events of the Mahabharata. I think my favorite part is that the events of the Mahabharata have been de-mythologized in Wilson's version, and everything that happens is plausible. Arjuna's skill with the bow and arrow still seems unlikely, and Krishna's decapitation of the one king who dissented when Krishna was named the wisest (also, not really fair to kill the guy? Just my thought) seemed pretty unrealistic, but plausible nonetheless, I suppose.

The biggest change to the Mahabharata's narrative, that Draupadi was won by Arjuna and given only to Yudhishthira, was a good touch, in my opinion. For a story to be more realistic, as it seems to be Wilson's goal, to have a more conventional marital situation than the traditional Mahabharata marriage of Draupadi to all five Pandavas works in Wilson's favor.

Lastly, I really liked how Wilson shortened certain scenes and not others while still evoking the essence of the narrative. I liked reading this version, and I'm looking forward to Part B! (And Karna was a character who I felt bad for in this version, more than the original. Interesting change.)

Image result for pandavas
Artistic representation of the Pandavas in exile. Source.

Bibliography: Wilson, Richard. "The Five Tall Sons of Pandu." Source.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Alex the English Major

Week 5 Story: The Conversation